How can we make MyEclipse fun and more usable?

Activation process is too slow

I have tried all 3 different way to activate, all very slow

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

Activation should typically take 10-20 seconds, never more than a minute. If appears to be taking longer than this, there’s probably something else wrong which would cause it to eventually fail.

The most common cause of activation failures is not having connectivity – see our proxy doc for notes on setting it up correctly: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/configuring-the-network-proxy-settings/ If you still experience issues,

Due to the diverse nature of issues that could still result in failures or delays, do write to us at support@genuitec.com or open a thread here: http://myeclipseide.com/forums so we can investigate and resolve ASAP.

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anonymous commented  · 

too much time consuming to activate the software. waiting for more than 5-10 mins

• Anonymous commented  · 

I also am having real problems with the activation. I got the activation email, and I finally came to give feedback, and it still sits there going impossibly slow.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I canceled the Activation and chose: Activate Later. I then noticed that MyEclipse was running several Processes:

* Importing MyEclipse de...en Repository
        * Convert legacy STS 2.x Preferences
        * Legacy STS Project Checker
        * Servers

This is the first time I've installed MyEclipse on this computer.

Once those Processes completed, the Activation also completed (even though I canceled it and selected "Activate Later.")

This process took well over a half hour to complete on my (obviously OVER powered) computer.

• Anonymous commented  · 

On a Windows 10 (Enterprise) PC with a quad core hyperthreaded Xeon processor, 32 GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD drive, the activation process is impossibly slow. It often hangs and appears to be limited to 1.5GB of RAM (despite the fact that I installed the 64 bit version of MyEclipse).

I also have a Gigabit connection to the internet.

During activation, a model window stating, "Activating your license...," prevents me from using MyEclipse. Also, the bottom taskbar of MyEclipse shows "Importing MyEclipse de...en Repository" along with an indeterminant progress bar.

During activation, Java consumes between 15 to 50% of the 4 core Xeon Processor. I see very little Disk Activity or changes in memory consumption.

• support-tony commented  · 

Sorry about the slow activation, Joe. Could you let us know which method you used, give us an indication of the time it took to activate and what your expectation was? If you have time, you could delete or comment out the activation key in the .myeclipse.properties file (in your home folder) and try activating again, to check if it was perhaps a network glitch? Thankfully, it's usually a once per year operation, but we would like to fix this if the delay happens consistently.

• Joe Intili commented  · 

Yes, activation way slower than what would be the expectation. A note as to how much activation time to expect is needed.

Anonymous, sorry you're seeing a problem with activation. We have seen occasional issues with our activation server but it is quite rare and almost all activations go through without any problem. It's possible that there was a temporary problem with the activation server so please try again. If you still have a problem, please use our support forum, as that is a better place to handle issues. When raising issues, please provide as much information as possible, to minimize the back and forth with questions and answers. In this case, we'd need to know the release of MyEclilpse you're working with, the OS you're running under and the method you're using to activate. Screenshots of the issue are also always useful. Our support forums can be found at: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topics/myeclipse/

Terrell, I'm not clear on the problem here, though I'm sorry part of the process took so long; this isn't the usual experience.

Did the activation eventually work? Did you use automatic activation or web activation and what is the web link you're referring to (the link to the web activation page or the web page thanking you for activating)? It would also help to know when this occurred and with which OS and with which release of MyEclipse. If possible, could you provide more details on our support forums as that would be a better platform for dealing with problems; this forum is really for improvement suggestions.

Our support forums can be found here: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topics/myeclipse/

Thanks for using MyEclipse.

Yes, that does describe "slow" pretty well! However, I'm still not clear whether the activation eventually worked for you. We did have some activation issues last month and they do happen occasionally, with technical issues on the activation server. We can't be sure if your problem coincided with one of those times, as there isn't enough information to go on but, hopefully, you're all set now. If not, it would be best to use our forums to raise the issue and that is a better platform for handling support issues; this forum is intended for usability suggestions from our customers. Our support forums can be found at https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topics/myeclipse/ When raising support issues, please try to provide as much information as possible (see this FAQ for more info: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/forum-posting-guidelines-please-read-16/ ). Sorry about the inconvenience.

• Russ commented  · 

Just purchased license, entered in eclipse alert box...been waiting for 5 min, nothing happens, hope this describes 'slow' for you..

Sorry about that. I assume that activation worked for you. If not, please raise the issue in our support forums. There are really only two activation methods, even though there are three options in the activation dialog. Could you describe exactly what you mean by "slow"? As this is a one-time action (per license period), hopefully it doesn't impact your use of the IDE.

Feedback and Knowledge Base