Your Installed is missing ".exe" at the end
I am IT for my client and am troubleshooting via registering the product on my own laptop to see issue.
What I DID noticed was that the download install file was missing ".exe" at the end of the file. So the file could not execute without doing so. Both the WEB INSTALLER and the downloadable file suffered from this issue.
I'm sorry you're seeing problems with the downloads. Very occasionally (maybe once or twice a year), a customer reports a problem like this and, to be honest, we're baffled why this occurs. We can only assume that it is something in the customer's set-up (perhaps ant-virus or site security settings) although if you're seeing this on your own laptop outside of your client's environment, then that pretty much cancels the theory.
I just tried the download now and it definitely comes down as an exe file. If you can give us an exact time and date of the download, I'll ask our IT team to see if there is anything odd about your download. In the meantime, let us know if you see any problems now you've managed to install it. It would be better to use our support forums for any further issues, though. https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topics/myeclipse/
Sorry for the inconvenience on this and thanks for raising the issue.